Saturday, February 19, 2011

Back On after Being Off too long!

I was quite sick for several weeks and did not get out to the barn. My dear husband had total responsibility. Lady was fed and watered and turned out, but not much else. When I returned to "barn duty" finally, I expected Lady's eager welcome. Instead, when I reached to pet her, she turned away. Being the alpha-dominant lead mare that she is, I know she was mad at me for not being there when she wanted attention. With mares, you just have to understand their feelings. She got over it in a few days. You can maintain a relationship even when you don't ride. You can maintain leadership with basic daily handling. But distance doesn't build a good relationship, apparently! I wonder if a horse sees your absence as neglect or do they understand the concept of neglect? I'd love to hear some comments from other mare owners about how their mares act after you've been separated for awhile.

4 comments:

Susan said...

My Mare is almost three and yet to be broke to ride. I am hoping soon the trainer will start Chloe. Mare show such a devotion to their owners. One of my horse buddies just bought a mare which is trained in Reining, a perfect match! A mare often becomes very attached to their owner and responds best to only this person. Great combo for reining.

Betsy Kelleher said...

Thanks for posting, Susan! I know you are eager to ride Chloe, but take time to establish that connection now, from lots of ground work! And keep in touch with your progress!

Unknown said...

I'm so excited to have found your website. I am new to mares - I rode a gelding for 25 years, and truly didn't believe that I could love another horse like I loved him, but, lo and behold I got my mare. She is a former show horse who is learning that you need not perform to be loved by a human. I love her dearly. The fun and excitement of maredom will be with the 3 year old filly that I bred. She has a great mom who let me train her to lead inside their 12 x 24 stall. I have worked hard on basic handling to assure that she wouldn't be a brat - but she is a BRAT. And, she prefers my husband - BRAT !! We're really getting serious with our ground work and planning to move into in-hand work later this summer. I'm wondering if those two four letter words are synonymous? Guess we'll see ;)

Betsy Kelleher said...

I'm excited too, that you found my blog! A new mare owner! Great! Try thinking of your "brat" as a young GIRL...a teenager? and a future WOMAN. See if that helps you relate to her. Give her lots of attention and loving, like a woman needs (yes...) and see if that helps as you work with her. No special privileges because she's a she, but lots of praise when she tries to do right, and lots of grooming and attention. Talk to her and help her know she is special, even if she seems bratty. Maybe you can CHANGE her attitude with love. Keep us informed. Share how she is doing...and how you are doing. I love your word, maredom. I'd like to use that word myself. May I?