Wednesday, April 27, 2011

To the Seventh Driveway!

How time does fly these days! From one rainy day to another, just thankful to be safe in spite of tornado warnings all around us! But I am happy to report that I did have several short rides before this latest wet spell! Lady and I finally got beyond the stable driveway and out onto the road. We went back onto the newly graded trail behind the pasture, all the way to the edge of the woods, just Lady and me, on three occasions already! She seemed calm enough and I actually enjoyed the outing. Then, on our last ride, we went down the road on Kelly Drive to the seventh driveway. Lady wanted to stop and turn around a bit before that, but I was proud of myself for going a little further than our previous turning point. I asked her to stop and stand still there in the middle of the road until she relaxed with a big sigh. And then we turned back toward the barn and walked calmly along past those seven driveways that marked our gradually expanding comfort zone. From one driveway to seven, we have come during the past two months. We have a long way to go, but we are on our way. Fear sometimes looms larger than it should, but facing it step by step can help diminish its magnitude. My courage was lost, and is now returning slowly. I know it has taken way too long, but we do what we can, when we can. Life seems safer that way.

No comments: